Thursday, June 21, 2007

Vanity extracts its price

Mauled! This is what I get for pretending to be a lady who lunches. Except I haven't had lunch out (yet). I walked the three blocks over to the nearest beauty salon, a fancy looking joint called Mane'a, which is a shiny glass building, above a Hyundai dealership with a huge L'Oreal sign. www.manea.in Looks reputable, right? It's got the required thumping dance music, looks super clean and shiny, and there's enough folks around who speak English. I want to get my eyebrows done. They don't wax here, they do threading. It's the big trendy thing in West LA, and its cleaner and more precise. Great I think. I also get a manicure and pedicure. The nailpolish I think was old; the texture's bad. But whatever. I can redo them at "home". No--the tragedy lies in the eyebrows. Or eyebrow, my left one. The inner corner has been pulled way too far in; it's about 1/4 inch shorter than it should be. That's the width of my pinkie! The space between them is absurdly far apart. It's the sort of thing that eludes you at first. You just think, Hmm. what's wrong? I couldn't figure out what was wrong, and not wanting to be rude I didn't inspect my reflection too closely. I just thought, maybe the arches are too high. Ah well. I can fill it in with eyebrow powder.

Only after I got back and I looked at myself again did it dawn on me. Oh my gawd, I look like a freak.

Yeah, it'll grow back--in August.

Share your salon disasters with me; misery loves company you know.

4 comments:

Delia Christina said...

a russian waxer once waxed a rounded arch into my eyebrows so that i looked surprised all the time. i never went back to her.

then there was the time when i was 12 that i cut a gap into my right eyebrow because i was bored.

nice. try being in junior high with mascara filling in the hole.

liza said...

Ah, the suprised look. Were they also really skinny, so you looked like a suprised chola?

Did the gap look like a scar? Was it by chance, any time around picture day?

Anonymous said...

I like the one where I got sandy to shave off her eyebrows.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, my mom, evil elder sister that she was, convinced her younger sister to shave off both her eyebrows when they were kids. I think my aunt was around 10 or 11 at the time. Old enough to know better (you'd think?!) and old enough for a humiliation factor at school. She was a full on star trek character.
CG