Thursday, June 7, 2007

Being the Mrs.

Today's our first day at the office. I'm tagging along and have been set up in the boss's office again. I'm getting my own little corner set up for me. Huzzah. The Mr.'s working, while I mess around online. I'm already plotting how to cozify the guest house; it's quite posh at the same time that it sort of looks like a bachelor crash pad. I'm going to buy a couple of potted plants (from the vendor on the walk back to the flat) for the balcony, and maybe our room. Such a cliche', I know. The wife shows up and decorates. Whatever. I'm OK with that. This afternoon I might go shopping for provisions--tea, biscuits--the sort of things that make hanging out looking at the rain come slashing down comfy. Of course, there's a guy here who will show us where to go--I'm sure it will be a little field trip for us.

I love going into grocery stores and buying stuff by guessing at what it is (sweet? savory? fishy? spicy?). LA has plenty of great ones: Jon's Market (mostly Arab) Mitsuwa (Japanese) Bangluck Market (Thai) and then there are all the ones in San Gabriel whose names I can't remember: Chinese and Vientamese grocery stores. In Panorama City there's a huge Philipino market called ABC Seafood. And then there's all the little Latino grocery/produce markets (yes, I know the Mexican stuff, but the Carribbean and Central American stuff is still adventerous). The first time I went to the UK, I had to go to the grocery store. To this day, whenever we go visit the Mr.'s fam, I love wandering around the Tesco or Sainsbury.and buying random small stuff to eat or drink. I lament the fact I didn't get to go to the market during the short times I've been in Spain and France. I can't wait, actually, to go here. I know it's not the same as back home, that grocery stores are in the minority here. I also am fairly certain that whereever we get taken will be the posh option. I'm still going to have fun poking and guessing.

1 comment:

Priya Jha said...

Poking and guessing -- hmmm...I think I lost my virginity that way.
I also love going to stores and guessing what things are. Thanks for letting me know about some of them in L.A. Too bad I'll be in Boulder. If you wind up going to Delhi, let me know so you can meet my family.