Monday, June 4, 2007

Last minute

Not only is my being all middle class with my personal effects becoming really obvious and sort of embarrassing to me, but being relatively new to this homeowner/living-in-a-house-in-the-suburbs business adds to my surprise at the level of bizarre stuff I have to handle before I leave: like plant the little trees my family gave me and stake them and make sure they don't die just before we go. And go to the home improvement store of doom to get a timer for the sprinkler so we don't have a brush-fire while we're gone. And then go get the batteries for it.

We leave tomorrow. I haven't even started packing. I'm doomed. The good news is that in 24 hours I'll be somewhere over the Atlantic, wending my way east. At that point, it's all out of my hands. That'll be nice.

Until then, I'm responsible for my own faff.

Expect a longish post when I hit the ground. I'll probably write something on the plane.

New contest: Guess what I'll forget to pack/handle and remember en route. Even I don't know the answer to this one yet.

5 comments:

Alicia said...

Are you leaving already? Of course you said June.... but I can barely believe that it is june. Okay I bet that you forget something really basic, like your toothbrush. Because it is the one thing you are not supposed to forget...

Anonymous said...

Hey Girl!

I miss you already! You are likely somewhere quite foreign and you are likely beyond exhausted--delirious and cranky most likely. My Target guess is $575.

You will freak out on the plane and you will freak out in India. EVERYONE has ATLEAST one freakout in India and likely more than one. When the freakout happens all you can do is have your meltdown and accompany it with alcohol. As the alcohol slips it's lovely self into your bloodstream, things start to seem more bearable, a little funny, and eventually everything is lovely. Alcohol is key to getting through the bad moments. Thank god for alcohol. Lets see...you forgot to pack a flask....which is fabulous for those moments when nothing but Johnny Walker will do. Also, maybe you forgot to pack a pen. good writing utensils are hard to come by in India (or they were ten years ago).
xo
by the way love the suburban homeowner comments. They are funny 'cause they are true.

Chipmunk Girl

Anonymous said...

Other things you forgot to pack...

Immodium, and Pepto Bismo. I don't know, you have commented on your stomach upsets, so maybe you packed the Pepto Bismo. Immodium though. That has saved B's life on a camel trek in Rajastan and saved my ass-literally- on one of those endless bus rides where my only toilet option was under the stars and cheek to cheek with other travellers.

I am determined to win a prize so more guesses will be forthcoming....
CG

Delia Christina said...

you forgot your brush.
i always do.

and i can't wait to hear about india.

Priya Jha said...

You forgot to pack your mind.