Friday, July 27, 2007

Lost in Translation

The joys of an overpriced dirty Grey Goose Martini. (Add you own accents as appropriate):

me: I'll have a Bombay tonic please
waiter: Sorry Madam; we have no Bombay gin.
me: Ok, then a dirty grey goose martini.
him: ???
me: a martini with grey goose vodka, and add olive juice and olives. You add the olive juice, and that's what makes it dirty.

He comes back with a plain vodka marini.

me: can you ask the bartender for some olive juice please?
him: olives, yes
me: olive juice
him: orange juice?
me: no, no orange juice. Olive, ah, olive liquor, um, the brine?
him: ah, wine.
me. No, no. the liquid from the olives.
him: (looking like I've asked for the blood of a newborn or worse) yes, madam.
He returns with a shot glass of olive brine.
me: (inwardly) Victory!!!
Huzzah! So worth it.

No comments: