Friday, July 20, 2007

Food

The food we can buy for ourselves to prepare in the apartment is pretty much kid food. I had a bowl of corn flakes with (soy)milk and banana for breakfast, an eggsalad sandwich on wheat bread for lunch, and some crackers and peanut butter just now as I wait for Sion to come home. (Our dinner reservation's not until 8:30). I made a salad of grated carrots and cucumbers with lemon juice, (god I miss greens: no lettuce or spinach here, just some very unfamiliar herbs)and we are eating a lot of toast and cheese and cookies and potato chips when we hang around here. Junky kids's food.

We can make pretty good dirty rice (but really that's kid food too) We've tried making grown up food with what we can get, but the successful dishes are ones that I associate with childhood--ie: simple one-note dishes. There's jarred pasta sauce, so we can doctor that up with garlic and onion, but honestly it's still kid food. We made beans: that's fairly standalone, so's the rice. So we can eat rice and beans, plain. I've yet to make a successful salsa. I can make a pretty good vegetable soup that's based on cabbage: but again it's the sort of thing you eat when you're a sick kid. You can buy frozen but not fresh chicken, and those are some stringy fighting birds. If you want fresh you have to go to a separate place where they are walking around and you pick one out. I'll pass on that particular bit of authenticity. It's all about ingredients, and they're lacking for complex Western dishes. Restaurants clearly have avenues not available to me.

So we can have grownup food if we go out, but if we stay in then it's kid food. Except for plain yogurt with honey or mango; most kids I hate yogurt, right?

It's comfort food because not only is it familiar and therefore comforting and comfortable, but in this case: we don't have to rely on someone else to either call for delivery or more importantly, go out when we're tired and/or hungover. Ah well, at least we can buy the stuff to make kid food.

I'm a little bit homesick: can you tell? I miss my life, even as we're having adventures. That they're not contradictory states (having adventures and planning them on the one hand, and being homesick on the other) suprises me.

No comments: